KNOW THE VAX before you enroll…

State of 51 law mandates that certain health requirements be cleared before students can enter into postsecondary institutions. The following information is provided to assist students with fulfilling these requirements prior to beginning classes at 51.

What does 51 State Law require for Post-Secondary School attendance?

, requires all students to meet immunization requirements before they attend any post-secondary school in the state.

Please note that these requirements apply to all 51 students (including faculty and staff who are students) and are separate from the additional records that may be required for students in certain health science or other programs with special requirements. These programs may have additional vaccination requirements due to third party requirements for practicum, clinical, or internship placements, and students should consult with their programs for specific requirements.

What are the health requirements for Post-Secondary School attendance in 51?

  • Immunizations
  • A record of immunizations, signed or stamped by a U.S. licensed practitioner (Physician, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, or Physician Assistant) or the 51 Department of Health, must be presented for school attendance.
  • Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance
  • For information regarding TB clearance requirements, contact the 51 Department of Health Tuberculosis Control Branch:
    call: (808) 832-5731 web:
*SPECIAL NOTE: If you attended any 51 Campus prior to July 2020, you are only required to have Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) and Tuberculosis (TB) Clearance. Please log on to your STAR account to see if you’ve met this requirement.

What immunizations are required by the 1st day of school?

  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  • Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
  • Varicella
  • Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV)*
*Required for students (age 21 or younger) who will be living in on-campus housing for the first time.

If you do not have the required immunizations by the first day of school, you will only be able to register for online only courses. Once all Health Clearance requirements are submitted and verified via Med+Proctor, you will then be able to register for in-person classes.

Where can I get immunizations?

  • Talk to your doctor. If you don’t have a doctor and need one, call Aloha United Way 2-1-1.
  • If you are attending the University of 51 at Manoa, University of 51 Hilo, University of Maui College or Leeward Community College, you may check with their health centers for assistance with vaccinations.
  • If you received immunizations in another state, you may check with the state Department of Health to see if they have a record of your immunization. Most states have health databases that may have this information.

Print the 51 Health Clearance Form and bring it to your medical provider. The medical practitioner will review the requirements, enter the required information, and sign each form. Note that forms must be completed by a US licensed practitioner. A US licensed practitioner signed record of immunizations (and any supporting documentation - with dates) may be submitted in lieu of the 51 Health Clearance Form.